Do What Works For You

Monday, August 24, 2015

Prior to attending Quilt Con 2015, I watched the lectures from 2013 on Craftsy to get a feel for the event. Angela Walter's lecture on modern machine quilting stands out in my memory months later, not because of her awesome quilts (which are breathtaking), but due a simple phrase that changed my perspective on so many things. "Do what works for you."

During the Q&A session at the end of her lecture, she repeats the phrase to the point that it because a bit of a joke, eliciting laughter from the crowd. She does answer questions about her thread and batting choices, techniques, etc. based on her personal preference and experience, but she concludes with, "Do what works for you."

I have a bit of a learned type A personality. I think being raised my former-accountant-turned-stay-at-home dad explains that. For the longest time, I was trained to see things as correct or incorrect. At the very least, there would always be a "best" answer that was twice as good as the next option. When I started quilting, I spent countless hours pouring over books, blogs, magazines, and video tutorials trying to find the "correct" answer to every question. Which batting is best? Do you have to match the thread and batting type? What kind of needle should I use for quilt piecing vs quilting?

The more people I talked to, the more I realized that everyone's opinions on these matters differed. Some are like my dad and insist there is one correct (or best) way to do things and any other approach is bad juju. For example, I frequently use flat sheets from Target as inexpensive backings. They only cost $10-15, require no piecing, and are snuggly soft. When I mentioned this to one particular quilter, she replied in a steely voice, "You should be shot." Whoa, lady.

Sheets work fine for me!
I was curious if that woman knew something I didn't, so I did a little research on some quilting forum discussions on the topic. Some posters wrote that sheets should never be used for quilts because the thread count is too high and difficult for the needle to pierce. Meanwhile, there were lots of posts from quilters who reported using sheets without issue. I haven't experienced a single problem using sheets, so hey, it works for me. Haters gonna hate.

What are some "incorrect" quilting techniques and tips that work for you?


12 comments :

  1. "you should be shot"??!! SO MEAN. Even if you think it's wrong sometimes it's nice to just move on and say nothing. I, too, have used a sheet here or there. It's the one place I'm totally fine with a bargain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started using the same sheets. They are amazingly soft and make super cozy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was the first thing I just did?! Googled target flat sheets! I'm going to give it a try! I would definitely use one from a thrift shop too, if I found a nice enough one. For me, sewing is a hobby and I can't afford top notch fabric for every single portion of my quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, you got yelled at by the Quilt Police!! hahaha! I occasionally use sheets for backings as well. But on the request of my longarmer, I do use low thread count sheets when I do it. Mostly I try to use up stash on the back so I can buy more.

    the quilt rule I don't follow is pinning. Unless it's super intricate, I'm not a pinner. I too should probably be shot. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. "There's no way you can use fleece to back a quilt. It won't shrink right when you wash it." Well, I do use fleece, especially on charity quilts! It washes just fine. I don't need batting or binding, since I can just stitch the right sides together and then turn right side out. I often find yard or more cuts of fleece on the remaindered rack at Joann's for very little money. And, most important of all when making charity quilts, fleece makes the quilt soft and snuggly and very comforting. Suck it, quilt police! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should probably be tarred and feathered...no one ever taught me to quilt, I cobbled things together from books and the internet and i know there's tons I'm doing "wrong". And guess what, I don't care! None of my quilts have self-destructed yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My seams do not 100% match which some would say I don't know how to sew. I do not prewash ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My seams do not 100% match which some would say I don't know how to sew. I do not prewash ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What an extreme reaction! I wholeheartedly agree that you should do whatever works best for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is an old post, but I've just come across you for the first time and HAD to comment! I don't use sheets, because the one time I did, I did infact, have trouble with the quilting not looking good (they were super high thread count)....but, batting....this is where I scrimp...and pinch....I use Quilters Dream Wool for anything queen or larger, but for everything else, I use mattress covers...you know, those things that are like batting with the fitted sheet elastic that goes on the mattress before your fitted sheet...anyway, I find them I. Thrift stores ALL THE TIME for $1 each...and I buy them all whenever I see them. I wash them in hot water and bleach, cut the elastic off and use it instead of batting...it's the same thing. I have made a queen quilt out of them before, but it's rare to find a KING mattress cover (which you need for a queen quilt because of the way they are shaped once you cut the elastic off). Seriously, where else are you going to get that much batting for a buck? I've never had trouble with quilting through them and they look just like a "regular" quilt. And you never feel guilty about chunking the scraps either! I know most of these things are prequel tee so to speak, but it has never been an issue. Some are thicker than others but I don't generally buy the super duper thick ones. This is probably my biggest quilts secret. I don't do quilt police. To each their own. Whatever works for you...

    ReplyDelete

  11. I know this is an old post, but I've just come across you for the first
    time and HAD to comment! I don't use sheets, because the one time I did, I
    did infact, have trouble with the quilting not looking good (they were
    super high thread count)....but, batting....this is where I scrimp...and
    pinch....I use Quilters Dream Wool for anything queen or larger, but for
    everything else, I use mattress covers...you know, those things that are
    like batting with the fitted sheet elastic that goes on the mattress before
    your fitted sheet...anyway, I find them I. Thrift stores ALL THE TIME for
    $1 each...and I buy them all whenever I see them. I wash them in hot water
    and bleach, cut the elastic off and use it instead of batting...it's the
    same thing. I have made a queen quilt out of them before, but it's rare to
    find a KING mattress cover (which you need for a queen quilt because of the
    way they are shaped once you cut the elastic off). Seriously, where else
    are you going to get that much batting for a buck? I've never had trouble
    with quilting through them and they look just like a "regular" quilt. And
    you never feel guilty about chunking the scraps either! I know most of
    these things are prequel tee so to speak, but it has never been an issue.
    Some are thicker than others but I don't generally buy the super duper
    thick ones. This is probably my biggest quilts secret. I don't do quilt
    police. To each their own. Whatever works for you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for the double comment. I forgot that blogs do not play well with tahooo accoumts.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS