Tutorial: Full Moon Quilt

Wednesday, August 12, 2015



I'm mad for moons. You could say I'm a bit of a lunatic. That's why I was instantly captivated by Janet Clare's newest collection, Nocturne, when I saw it at Quilt Market back in May. I got my hands on a FQ bundle leftover from Sample Spree and began plotting what to do with it.

While browsing Pinterest, I came across this stunningly simple mini wall hanging by btaylorquilts. It got my wheels turning for a semi-improv quilt. It's a really easy process and I want to share it with you.


The full moon, which measures 18" in diameter, is made from a improv piecied Dresden. You can download the wedge template here. I started by cutting a 3.5" x 18" strip from each of 17 low volume (cream/gray prints in the bundle). I then cut 3.5" tall pieces from those strips and began piecing them in an improv fashion. I cut some wonky, some straight, but I never bothered with ruler.

To make each Dresden wedge, I made three "tiers," each measuring 3.5" tall. The top tier (which will be the outer ring) is made of 3 strips of fabric, the middle tier is made from 2 strips, and the bottom tier is a single piece. I sewed the three tiers together, then used my template to trim the wedge to the desired shape.

Make 20 wedges for the moon. To assemble the moon, piece 10 wedges together at a time to make two semicircles, then join the two halves.

For the background, I cut a bunch of 3.5" x 18" and 6.5" x 18" strips from my navy, blue, and gray fat quarters. Since I didn't have enough navy fabric, I decided to go for a gradated look instead. I did improv strip piecing to make 60" wide rows. You don't have to do strips though. You could make slabs, simple squares, anything really. I just wanted something fast and efficient. I continued adding rows until my top was 72" long.

When the background was complete, I used needleturn applique to attach the full moon.

I'm waiting on my quilt backing to come in the mail right now. I can't wait to quilt this one!

Finished size: 60" x 72"


9 comments :

  1. This is a great technique! I can't wait to try it! Thanks so much for sharing your process!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so psyched you were inspired by my wall hanging to make this magnificent moon quilt! It's going to be amazing when it's quilted up, can't wait to see. The blues are just perfect, like a darkening sky above and the cloudy sky on the horizon. Don't miss the Persiod meteor shower this week! xo, Briana www.btaylorquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt. I'm a moon lover and this will be on my to do list. I just need the perfect fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning quilt! And thank you so much for sharing this beauty with all of us! You are so generous!
    I will try it for sure!
    Hugs from Brazil
    XO
    Sil (silort)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning! I've been eyeing that fabric line myself -- this is a beautiful way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool, I may have to try one myself. As I go on I find I want to try different things instead of making bed quilts

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing how you put this together.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS