A Tote for Podrick

Monday, May 11, 2015

A couple weeks ago, I added a new sewing machine to my family. A new, old machine. A 1954  Singer 301A to be exact. I have nothing but love for Brienne, my Juki F600, but her giant size makes her a huge pain to travel with. A smaller travel machine had been on the back of my mind wishlist, but I wasn't seeking one out actively.

Coincidentally, my LQS had this little 301 on consignment from Kimberly's Junk in the Trunk, a local vintage Singer queen. I tested it out and it was love at first stitch. I've never sewn on a smoother machine! I had to take him home, and his price tag of $160 made it an easy choice. 


I have a tendency to name inanimate objects, and my 301's name was a no brainer: Podrick! He'll be a wonderfully reliable (if simple) squire to Brienne. 

Since I adopted Podrick to be a travel machine, I made him his own little travel tote. I saw pictures of a simple boxy tote floating around Pinterest, which I eventually tracked down as the Pack N' Go Tote by Kimberly Walus in the book Fresh Fabric Treats.

 Since the original bag pattern wasn't going to be big enough for Podrick and the design was simple, I drafted my own pattern. The finished bag is 15"L x 8"W x 12.5"H. The exterior pockets are all 9.5" tall, deep enough for some magazines, notes, patterns, or rules. The foot pedal and cords fit perfectly into the side pockets.



I used some jelly roll strips of Hadley by Denyse Schmidt for the exterior pockets, yardage of one of the brown Hadley prints for the main exterior, Andover textured solid for the handles, and some random blue fabric by Zen Chic for the lining. I used Annie's Soft & Stable to give the main bag structure and padding. The exterior pockets just have a layer of batting.




Podrick fits inside perfectly! I can't wait to take him to the HMQG retreat in June. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS