Finished Full Moon Quilt

Thursday, August 20, 2015

No matter how many quilts I finish, each one feels like a grandiose accomplishment. The look of my newest finish deviates from most of my projects, which tend to be a lot more youthful and playful. Nonetheless, it represents an image I've had in my head for a long, long time. It feels good to get the stinker out of of my noggin and into reality. 

When I get the to quilting phase of my quilts, a particular pattern emerges. I think about what designs will enhance the quilt top, speak to it's its design, and make it the best it can be. Five minutes into the execution of that plan, I either screw up or realize that it's going to take a lot more effort than I'm willing to give. The five minutes of quilting takes more than an hour of ripping out and I resign myself to another allover meandering design. I was determined to make sure that wouldn't happen for this quilt.

There were a few times where I doubted how well the quilting would turn out, but I'm glad I hung in there. I started by quilting a spiral on the moon with white thread and my free motion foot. I switched to navy thread for the background and continued the spiral around the moon. After the spiral extended several inches beyond the moon, I ended it and switched to rays that shoot out from the moon. I used tailor's chalk to draw lines out every so often, which helped keep it on track.

The quilting blends into the top nicely, but it really stands out on the back. For the back, I pieced a strip with some of my leftover fabric to add some interest to the plain navy sheet. Yes. I use bed sheets for quilt backs. Don't hurt me.

Size: 60" x 72"
Fabric: Nocturne by Janet Clare
Pattern: Full Moon
Quilting: Spiral and rays
Completed: August 17, 2015

1 comment :

  1. This is so stunning! I'm obsessed with your moon and love the quilting design!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS