Epic Game of Thrones Quilt Tutorial

Sunday, September 6, 2015

For all my fellow nerds, here's the Epic Game of Thrones quilt tutorial I promised!
Quilt size: 60" x 72"

You will need to download the four FPP sigil patterns from misha29.com. Her patterns finish at 10" square, so you will need to double the size of the templates and adjust the .25" seam allowance around each piece. Some of the templates were quite large after increasing the size, taking two or even three pieces of paper that I had to tape together.

Assemble your Kona solids for the quilt top. I used:

Pewter (2 yds) - Stark direwolf and main quilt background
Silver (1 yd) - Stark banner background
Tomato (1 yd) - Targaryen dragon
Pepper (2 yds) - Targaryen banner background and Baratheon stag
Rich Red (1 yd) - Lannister banner background
Caramel (1 yd) - Lannister lion
Curry (1 yd) - Baratheon banner background
Charcoal (1.375 yd) - Outer border & binding

You'll also need some small cream colored scraps for the lion's tongue and lighter yellow scraps for the stag's crown. I used a twin size sheet for my backing. If you plan on using 42" wide fabric, you'll need 4.5 yards.

As I mentioned in my initial post, you'll probably want to go through each template and check the numbering. I had to renumber many pieces. In addition to the sigil patterns, you'll need to download my banner tail FPP pattern. Print (4) copies of the pattern. Cut each set out and tape together according to the instructions in the pattern.

Before you start your FPP blocks, cut the following pieces from each of the banner background fabrics and set aside:
  • (1) 1.5" x 20.5"
  • (2) 1.5" x 21.5"
  • (2) Pieces large enough for sections 2 & 3 on the banner tail pattern (8" x 16" should suffice)
From the main background fabric (Pewter), cut:
  • (4) pieces large enough for section 1 on the banner tail pattern (at least 6" x 22.5")
  • (2) 4.5" x 28.5" 
  • (1) 4.5" x 7"
  • (1) 4.5" x 42"
  • (6) 3.5" WOF strips
Once that's taken care of, you can FPP your blocks as normal. They should measure 20.5" square, including seam allowances. Tear off the papers. Sew the corresponding 1.5" x 20.5" piece to the top of each block and press. Sew the 1.5" x 21.5" pieces to the left and right sides of the block and press. Piece your banner tail and sew it to the bottom of your block. At this point I did the hand embroidery on each banner. I used a combination of outline stitches and backstitching.

Sew the 4.5" x 7" and 4.5" x 42" pieces together along the short ends and press to make a 48.5" long strip. Divide the 3.5" WOF strips into two sets of (3) strips. Sew each set of strips together end to end to make two long 3.5" wide strips. From each strip cut a 54.5" long piece and a 60.5" long piece.


Assemble your quilt top according to the diagram above. Join each pair of banners with a 4.5" x 28.5" piece. Join the two sections with the 4.5" x 48.5" piece. Sew the left and right borders and then the top and bottom borders.

From your Charcoal fabric, cut (8) 3.5" WOF strips. Sew them end to end in pairs to make (4) long strips. Trim (2) strips at 66.5" long and the remaining (2) at 60.5" long. Sew the 66.5" pieces to the left and right. Sew the 60.5" pieces to the top and bottom. 

Cut (7) 2.5" WOF strips from the remaining Charcoal fabric for the binding. The rest is the usual steps of basting, quilting, and binding. 

6 comments :

  1. There aren't enough words to thank you for doing this pattern. My entire family, if not most of the viewing public, is engrossed in Game of Thrones. This will keep me busy for many many hours and will bring so many happy smiles from my family members. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There aren't enough words to thank you for doing this pattern. My entire family, if not most of the viewing public, is engrossed in Game of Thrones. This will keep me busy for many many hours and will bring so many happy smiles from my family members. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have finally finished my Game of Thrones quilt following or at least attempting to follow you instructions. You did a great job on your tutorial but this was my first time piecing a quilt - and I am proud of this quilt and my grandson is so excited. Thank you and if you will tell me how to do it I'll send you a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you've made your first quilt, and such an ambitious one! If you want to share a photo you can email it to me at feliceregina@gmail.com. :)

      Delete
  4. This quilt is so cool! I've never made a quilt before, but I would love to make this one. I know this might be a silly question, but what are the lines shown on the sigils? Are the sigils sewn down in pieces for are those sewing line there for decoration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to the straight lines in the second image? Those show the sections of the paper piecing templates, which you sew together to assemble the block.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS