Stylish Dress Book: Dress T & F

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Yoshiko Tsukiori's Stylish Dress Book has been both a blessing and a curse. On the positive side, I haven't purchased any clothing since Patty loaned me the book about a month ago. The negative is that I can't stop making dresses! 


The third dress I made after dress Y and E was dress T, the style I had wanted to start with, but worried would be too difficult. Looks like I made a good call on that one! It was the most challenging of all the dresses I've made so far (the count is up to 6 right now, including two that I have yet to photograph).Turning the collar facing was fiddly, especially at the center point. I had the same problem with my crazy cat lady dress. The sleeves were frustrating, but I'll admit it was my fault. I have a hard time walking away from unfinished projects even when I'm mentally exhausted. It's like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I just can't stop! Thanks to my persistence, I sewed a sleeve to the bodice inside out, not once, but TWICE. Ugh. Learn from my fail and know when it's time to take a break!

As with my previous two dresses, I took in the side seams about an inch on either side. I also cut the skirt shorter than the pattern indicated. Since I'm only 5' tall, a typically short skirt goes a long way on my frame. In fact, a quick Google search shows that most people have worn dress E as top with pants or at least paired it with leggings. Without any alterations to the length, mine hits me right at the knee! Judging by the pattern, dress T was going to hit me mid-calf, which is not a flattering look for a short chick like me! 

Dress T was followed by dress F, a simple tunic top with open sleeves and ties. On a recent fabric shopping trip with Patty, I scored some lovely Domestic Bliss fabric by Liz Scott in the clearance bin. The bright and cheery colors seemed perfect for this relaxed dress. Sewing dress F was relaxing too...well...the bodice anyway. The sleeves were a chore. For some reason the instructions have you sew the top and bottom seams before hemming the open edge. It practice, it feels backwards and complicates the process. I made one sleeve as instructed and made the second one my way (bottom seam first, hem edge, sew top seam) which felt more natural. 
I didn't need to take in the side seams on this one because the style was less tent-like to begin with and I intended to wear it with a belt anyway. I need my waistline, thank you! As with all the dresses I've made from the Stylish Dress Book, dress F is divinely comfy. Ladies, be honest: being stylish is nice, but being stylish and comfy is heavenly! 




1 comment :

  1. IRANI BORKA BAZAR http://www.iraniborkabazar.com/
    is not only a Name but also a Brand. We Provide International Quality of Products. The One & Only Borka Brand of Bangladesh is IRANI BORKA BAZAR.

    Nowadays girls and women are desperate to make them Different, Smart & Adorable. In Modern times Borka & Hijab has become a matter of personality. Your appearance reflects your Personality & Choice. Lots of Smart girls & women are choosing Stylish Borka & Hijab as Stylish but modest Dress for EID Festival, Parties & other Occasions. They looks very Gorgeous, Stylish & Beautiful.

    We are imparting you graceful, choiceful & the best product in the market. So Girls & Women can easily wear Borka & Hijab in their Parties & other Occasions. If you want to show yourself as stylish Girl or Woman then our products are for you. Hopefully we will be able to content you 100% on the basis of your demand.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS