Starfield Quilt Pattern

Sunday, August 17, 2014


If there is anyone that can inspire me, it's undoubtedly Heather Ross. Last month I shared how I stumbled upon her work and fell in love. She's a inspiration that always pushes me to find new ways to explore her artwork through quilting. While I've already made two HR-heavy quilt patterns (Treasure Box and Solstice Medallion), I still don't have enough snuggley Heather goodness in my home.

My two Far Far Away blocks

Enter, the Starfield Quilt! I wanted to make a bright, happy quilt to feature a smaller number of HR prints. The idea for the star-centered design was inspired by Jeni Baker's (my other new quilting crush) quilt pattern, the Shining Stars Sampler. I love the simplicity and clean lines of her quilts (so unlike my natural style!) and the way her fabric choices bring a modern feel to traditional patchwork stars. 

These horses are one of my favorite HR prints
I started with the traditional patchwork star, eight-point star, and ribbon stars at the core of my design, and added HSTs, chevrons, and arrows to make them really sparkle and shine! I love how the blue center star gives the illusion of a circle. It reminds me of a sparkler!

The unicorn that introduced me to Heather Ross

For my fabric choices, I selected nine Heather Ross fussy cuts, including some of the Far Far Away bundle I got in the mail last week. Including the unicorn felt very full-circle for me, seeing how it's design that introduced me to Heather Ross.

Picking the lucky fabrics

For the backing, I used the flat sheet from one of my college twin sheet sets! It was the perfect size, plus it's super soft and snuggley! I love how my quilting stands out against the solid gray. 

Look at all those wiggles!

The Starfield quilt pattern is available for sale on my Craftsy store, here. It's fat quarter friendly and perfect for featuring your superstar fabrics!

Name: Starfield
Size: 54" square
Fabric: Heather Ross Prints (Far Far Away, Briar Rose, Nursery Versery, West Hill, and Munki Munki), Wee Wander by Sarah Jane (blue star), Tula Pink (green stars), etc.
Pattern: Starfield (by me!)
Quilting: Meander
Completed: August 17, 2014

2 comments :

  1. Very pretty! Very modern in it's own way. I like that it doesn't need EPP or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm usually too impatient for paper piecing. ;)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS