Instagram Sewing Swaps: Are privacy and participation mutually exclusive?

Thursday, September 25, 2014


When I signed up for my first sewing swap earlier this summer, I had no idea how quickly I would get hooked on swaps.While I've had to be careful and not over-commit myself with sign-ups, I indulge my swap love daily by following their hashtags on Instagram. (Shout to to all my #KittyMiniQuiltSwap participants!) It's always inspiring to see all the hard work and creativity everyone puts into their projects. It can only be topped by the lovely pictures people post of their happy packages and their sweet thank yous. I love how positive our Instagram sewing community is, right down to the generosity and graciousness of swappers.

But, like anything else, there are some elements of swaps that spark disagreements, like privacy vs. participation. I've seen the question discussed many times: should you sign up for a IG-based swap if you have a private account?

I have read through many lengthy comment threads on IG of participants lamenting their ghosty partners and it seems to be a polarizing argument. Private swappers appreciate their privacy and don't want to give it up for a swap, simple enough.

But why would private accounts be a bad thing for swaps?

For starters, if you are participating in a secret swap, you won't be able to view your partner's photos if they have a private account. That throws "stalking" out the window, making it harder to get a clear idea of your partner's style. If you want to view their photos, you must send a Follow Request that they will have to manually approve. Consequently, there is a greater chance your partner will deduce your identity, ruining the "secret" element of surprise.

Second, any swap-related photos a private user tags with the swap hashtag (like #KittyMiniQuiltSwap), will NOT appear under the hashtag feed unless you already have been approved to follow that user. That means if your partner snaps a photo of the lovely package you made for them and tags it with the swap hashtag, only their followers will be able to see it. Anyone who wants to browse the hashtag will never see your pretty swap items or their thankful comments. This may sound a little silly, but I would feel a bit sad that all the hard work I put into a swap package would only be seen by a small group of approved followers beyond my control. I want the joy to be spread far and wide!

I'm not going to pretend to be impartial on this subject, because I do feel that IG-based swaps are social by nature. It's called social media for a reason! Keeping your account private during a swap seems like going to a cocktail party with a bag on your head. However, I'm not saying people who want privacy should be excluded from swaps. I do think we both need to meet in the middle to make swaps enjoyable for everyone.

The easiest solution I think would be for private swappers to create a second, public account to use for swaps. Using a separate account would enable private swappers to maintain their personal privacy while selectively sharing swap-related photos. I think this would be the most simple, inclusive solution.

But what if private users do not adopt the second account approach? Well, if it is an important issue to the swap hosts, they could choose to designate their swap as a "social swap" or a "non-social swap." Social swaps would indicate that participants are expected to be public and active IG users in order to maximize the sense of community. Non-social swaps would release participants from these expectations, meaning you can share as much or as little as you like.

I personally would only want to host social swaps in the future, because I know how "meh" it can feel to be sewing a project for a virtual stranger. It's just not as fun for me, and I don't want other's to go through that if they want a more active, friendly environment.

I want to hear your opinions and thoughts on this subject! If you have a private account, how would you feel about making a public swap account? Have you ever been paired with a private partner? Do you have any other solutions to the issue? I want to know!


9 comments :

  1. I definitely prefer public accounts for instagram swaps. It makes it more fun, and it's easier to interact and stalk your partner! I have a separate account for all my crafty stuff. Too keep the crafty stuff out of my family and friends' feeds, since they're not interested :) and to let me keep my pictures of kids and other stuff separate and private. It's easy to set up two accounts and I agree that it's the best way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love people who do this! It would be great if IG let you create a few feeds under one account so you wouldn't have to keep logging in and out.

      Delete
  2. I also like public accts. I am in a swap right now and my partner has no IG or a blog! I have no way of finding out anything about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having the same problem right now. It feels strange trying to make something so special for someone you don't feel like you can connect with.

      Delete
  3. I made a second sewing/swapping account. I don't feel completely comfortable with all of life with everyone...but I love connecting&participating! The second account is a win win-that solves my family having to wade thru quilts/WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented on your IG post, but jumped over here on the computer...

    I like the idea someone had also, about asking on the signup form if your account is private, and linking those people together. That way they can stay private if they want, and both sides are in the same boat regarding adding each other and what they can/can't see whereas anyone with a public account can participate more openly. However regardless of private/public, there's still the issue of inactive users :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Joanna's idea of pairing up private users. I love swapping and private or inactive users really bother me because making something specific to that person is the reason that I do swaps and I don't want to send the person a request if its supposed to be a secret. I didn't know that you can't see people in the tag if they are private -- I thought you only couldn't see the other pictures if you clicked on the name -- that's a real bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with pairing private swappers. I am in a swap now and my partner was private. I had to send her a request so I'm pretty sure she knows who her secret partner is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog. best sewing machines for beginners

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS