My 3 Bag System for Portable Projects

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I've been more scatterbrained than usual the past couple weeks. I've been all over the place with my art, writing, working towards some big goals, etc. So while I've been tied up with other things, I've been trying out some smaller projects scrappy EPP projects to keep my sewing gears going. 

I had been keeping my EPP bits in plastic bags, but one of my cats has an obsession with munching on them, so I needed an alternative. I came up with a nice three-bag system!

First up is a project I completed back in April but never blogged about: my Sew Together Bag! I don't know how I lived without this bag to hold all my sewing crap! It's nice not have to hunt down every little notion anymore. 

My scrappy Sew Together bag
I made did a patchwork exterior using aqua and blue scraps because I just get bored with things are plain. Plus, SCRAPS. Sewing the accordion pocket parts was really challenging for me, and as the pattern states, you really do have to smash those layers down. There's no delicate way of doing it. I will never understand how some people can crank these bags out like it's no big deal!

Look at all that space!

The next bag in my system is Jeni Baker's lined drawstring bag. I use it to stash all my paper pieces in until they get big enough to graduate to the final bag. This cute bag was easy as pie, taking me only an hour or two. I started with some Dreamin' Vintage scraps I had in one of my many scrap baskets, and pulled more scraps based on the colors of Jeni's lovely fabric.

A cute little patchwork drawstring bag

I had planned on using ribbon for the the drawstrings, but I ended up switching to fabric ones. I'm glad I did because they help the bag stay closed tightly thanks to their thickness. 

I'm going to have to make a few more of these to keep projects separated!

Keeping all those paper pieces contained

The last bag in the system is Noodlehead's Divided Basket pattern, which was shockingly easy! I may make another with longer handles to carry with me to quilt guild meetings. My drawstring bag fits perfectly in one side, while I can stash growing EPP quilt in the other side with the Sew Together bag. I divided the front pocket into two pockets with a line of stitching. I use one pocket to store fresh paper pieces and the other one is great for tossing in used pieces that I'll reuse. 

The divided basket can hold all my project pieces

I guess you can call me a bag lady now! Do you have any special bags you use to stay organized?

1 comment :

  1. What a lovely, quilty, blog! I am still using a bunch of plastic sandwich baggies and an old Altoids tin. But this looks like a much cozier, and more organized, system! - Mariko

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS