Teacup Crossbody Pattern

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

My process for designing bag patterns is usually straight forward. I sketch my ideas, determine measurements, generate some pattern pieces, and sew my bag. Having a clear vision from the outset means any revisions to the design are relatively minor. The Teacup Crossbody through a wrench in my formula.



The Teacup Crossbody began as the Teacup Tote back in July. I was looking for a way to introduce some new materials to my customers, which in this case, were rivets and Kraft-Tex. I made my petite tote with a small snap closure and single handle for carrying over the shoulder. I loved the look of the result, but after using the bag for a couple days, I became disillusioned. It didn't feel practical to me. I set the design aside to let the core design simmer in my head.

When I returned to it two months later, I decided the design needed an overhaul. I retained the same design for the body of the bag, but changed the style from a tote to a crossbody bag. I added a contrasting flap with a magnetic snap tab and a gusseted pocket, a technique I introduced in my Collegiate Tote.

The Teacup Crossbody passed my usability test and exceeded my expectations. It's now my current everyday bag for running errands. I love the front gusseted pocket for quick, easy access to my cell phone or car keys. The bag has a mid-size body which easily holds the essentials plus a small drink, my iPad mini, and a light sweater.

I had a wonderful pool of pattern testers this time around who made beautiful samples of the Teacup Crossbody.


@marci_girl made this breathtaking bag with pleather accents and fabric from April Rhodes. My pattern only calls for interfacing the exterior pocket pieces, but Marci suggests interfacing the lining pocket pieces as well since Art Gallery Fabrics are rather lightweight compared to most quilting cottons.

@amythystgecko's happy green bag uses some of my favorite prints (Lizzy House's Natural History and Pearl Bracelets along with Carolyn Friedlander's Botanics). 
@jennycoplin's plaid bag is perfect for winter. Her fabric choices are so spot on, and that red flap warms my heart.

@leahrene made combined a busy Alison Glass print with a cool solid for just the right amount of energy.  


@monpetitebiscuit's bold floral combination of Anna Maria Horner and Tula Pink is a striking one. I love the magenta accents!

@mycraftycrap blew my mind with her skillful fussy cutting. Look how the snap tab lines up perfectly with the moose on the flap!


@skynme2 also used pleather accents for her Teacup Crossbody. It really elevates any fabric choice!

The Teacup Crossbody is now available for sale in my Craftsy pattern shop!


No comments :

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS