The Meadow Quilt

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

I think the Meadow Quilt is like the unicorn of quilt patterns. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, the Meadow is a quilt pattern taught exclusively in workshops by its creator, Lizzy House. There has been and will never be a print version available. The only way to make the quilt is to take the workshop, which Lizzy literally travels the world teaching. This past November, the Houston Modern Quilt Guild hosted Lizzy and I got one of the coveted 18 spots in her Meadow quilt workshop. 

This was my first paid workshop experience, and I was very pleased with all that I learned. Lizzy's a wonderful teacher and she made everything so simple for us. As a thank you, I gave her the little Lizzy doll I made as a gift. 

I used all Lizzy House fabrics + Kona solids for my meadow. It was so gratifying to watch the colored centers come together that I ended up putting the entire top together in two days, which Lizzy confirmed is the second fastest after herself! So I got that dorky bragging point now. I made my borders a tiny bit smaller than Lizzy's because I realized I could use 2 yards less fabric and the quilt would only be like 5" smaller overall. 

I dreamed big with my FMQ quilting and went for custom centers and pebbled borders to mimic stones around a flower bed. I used a gray 50wt Aurifil on the centers and border and white 50wt Aurifil on the white petals. I ended up using an entire spool of gray, because pebbles are no joke! 

I'm so happy to have this quilt in my collection!

Size: 66" x 75"
Pattern: Meadow Quilt
Quilting: Custom center with pebbled borders

Completed: November 2015
Fabric: 48 Lizzy House prints, Kona White, Kona Aloe, and Kona Seafoam

6 comments :

  1. Your quilt is really lovely - well done. I am sad that I missed out on doing the meadow class when Lizzy came to Australia. My biggest quilty regret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to the class in Atlanta in March (I live in Nashville) -can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful quilt, and I love how you quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is G O R G E O U S! I love your quilting of it as well. I am a new quilter so this quilt just blows my mind. Haha! I'm still into straight lines for piecing.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS