Drunkard's Wife Quilt-Along: Introduction

Sunday, October 18, 2015

So, have you ever witnessed your friend proudly show off their new quilt, and noticed that they made a dumb mistake somewhere?  You try not to rain on their parade, but you can't help but be like:


That reaction was the inspiration for a fun Quilt A-long. It combines two activities I cherish: quilting and drinking. I'm calling it The Drunkard's Wife Quilt-Along.

We've all been there. We've gotten tipsy at quilt retreats or had a little too much with dinner, but hey! We got quilts to make! And then we make oopsies. It's time to celebrate those stupid mistakes. The Drunkard's Wife Quilt-Along is an exercise in f***ing up. 

The basic directions are simple. Make a block and screw it up. Do you remember that part in Fight Club where Tyler instructs the guys to get into a fight and lose? It's kinda like that. 

Some of you perfectionists are probably reading this like:


But guess what?


We're grown ass women and we can make some jacked up quilts if we want.

I'll be sharing 12 simple blocks with you on a weekly basis. You can turn it into a monthly BOM/cocktail hour with your friends. Get shwasty while you stitch or do it sober. But there is only one rule: no perfect blocks allowed.

Here's the rest of the basic housekeeping notes.


The finished quilt will measure 54" x 68". 

Fabric: You will need:
  • (1) Fat Eighth for corner stones
  • .75 yards for sashing
  • 1.625 yards for borders (or 1 yard if you're okay with piecing them)
  • 4 yards for backing
  • .5 yard for binding
  • 58" x 72" batting
  • Some embroidery floss (optional)
For your actual blocks, we're taking this the scrappy route, so pull a stack of fat quarters or your scrap bin. I'm not going to give you yardage since different people will want to approach their blocks in different ways. I'm not your mama! Figure it out! We're drinking here, not entering a math tournament.

I'll be starting on November 2nd. Keep up with updates on IG using the hashtag #DrunkardsWifeQAL and #DrunkardsWifeQuilt.

13 comments :

  1. Yes! This is brilliant! I'm going to buy beer tomorrow and start practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I'll be getting tipsy tomorrow and blindly pulling fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! Hmmm now to decide which of my eras of fabric to use for this QAL : Civil war? 30's feed sacks? Funky old calicos? Watercolor florals? Batiks? Or .... Or .... Maybe I need a drink first...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has had me chuckling!! Drinking and sewing, my two favs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fabulous that I laughed out loud when I looked at the quilt! What a great idea. Drinking is part of my culture and I know I can sew imperfect blocks (really well). Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun, but I might be too OCD to purposely turn a block. Certainly in for drinking while sewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow I'm a bit late to the party but I'm there off to get the drink and fabric yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found the IG posts! I'm a little late to the party and it seems too sober, a common problem but I'm working on it. Lol. This is great! Can't wait to make them :)

    Now to go get some wine. 🍷✂️🤗

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jajajajaaaaaa!
    Buenísimo!!
    Lamento llegar tarde!
    Hubiera sido una máster en este tipo de bloques-confundidos!!!
    Un abrazo!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS