Fall 2015 Quilt Market Recap

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Quilt Market is my favorite time of year, and this Fall 2015 Market was no exception. I attended market for the first time last fall, so this is my second time making the rounds at the George R Brown convention center. It felt a little different this time around. Armed with my Windham Exhibitor's badge, it felt so good to be able to introduce myself as a fabric designer instead of saying, "I want to design fabric" like I had in the past. As an additional bonus, I attended along side my sewing BFF Julia.

Schoolhouse sessions by Kim Anderson & Elizabeth Hartman

This was my first time attending a full day of Schoolhouse, and it was a long day! I went to sessions by Angela Walters, Elizabeth Hartman, Lizzy House, Cotton + Steel, Aurifil, Kim Anderson, Sarah Jane, Heather Givans, and more. I love hearing designers speak about their collections and how they market them to the shop owners. It's not something the end consumers really think about, but designers have to put a lot of consideration into it.

Schoolhouse sessions by Lizzy House & Cotton + Steel

After Schoolhouse, we went to Fabric 2.0 for a quick drink, some snacking, and mingling before heading off to Sample Spree. They moved the time up an hour from previous markets, so there was only an hour gap between it and Schoolhouse. I had been skeptical of the change, but I think it was a good move. It was nice to be over and down with all the craziness an hour earlier so we could go home and get some sleep.

Giucy Giuce and I with our Collegiate Totes // Julia and her Lizzy House Dresses

We walked the show floor on Saturday and Sunday, and somehow managed to get all the business tasks on our to-do lists checked off. Of course we had lots of welcome distractions along the way, like stopping to chat with old friends as well as meeting people we've adored online. I got to meet Abby Glassenberg, Aneela Hoey, and Sandi Hazlewood for the first time and had some delightful conversations. Although this wasn't my first time talking to Tula Pink, it was the first conversation we had that extended beyond a quick "hello." She and her brother imparted some nice words of wisdom for me as a new designer. :)

Julia and I are huge Lizzy House Fans

My friend Patty had a booth for her new collection with Michael Miller, Into the Deep. Her booth completely knocked my socks off. You may have seen the jaw-dropping mermaid dress on IG.

Into the Deep by Patty Sloniger
 The booths were full of so many projects, it's difficult to take it all in at times. You may have notices that all of these photos are taken from my IG account. I had intended to bring my DSLR on Friday, but didn't follow through. I struggle a bit with feeling like the camera prevents me from being in the moment, and in the end, I didn't want to make the sacrifice just for some photos.

My Bubble Plus quilt in Heather Ross's booth // Violet Craft's booth
 It was great reconnecting with friends I don't get to see often like Gina Pina entourage, Becca Bryan, and the Bunny's Designs gals. Market may be a professional event, but it feels like a family reunion with a side of business.

There is always so much on my mind after market, so I'll be breaking up the tornado of ideas into a few posts. Check back soon for more.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS