The Special Exhibit Quilt

Monday, July 13, 2015

Earlier this year, I had the exciting opportunity to make a few projects for Spring 2015 Quilt Market. One of those projects was a baby quilt for Lizzy House's releases of Natural History, Mini Pearl Bracelets, and Butterflies. 

My quilt hanging in the Andover booth at Quilt Market

Andover sent me a selection of blue fat quarters (my requested color) from all three collections as well as one of their new Chambrays and a navy Textured Solid. I wanted to make something simple that would keep the focus on the prints rather than complex piecing. I opted for 6" rail fence blocks with 2 small "framed" fussy cut blocks and one 12" block with a double border to add interest. These feature blocks combined with the rail fence blocks reminded me of a lot of museum floor plans, which sparked the name for the quilt: Special Exhibit. 


 I machine quilted it with a square meander pattern in navy Aurifil 50 wt cotton. I actually ran out of thread halfway through and had to make an emergency run to my LQS. Thankfully, they had the color I needed! I also quilted around the the edges of the large butterfly in the 12" block with black thread to make it pop a little.
 I used the navy Andover Textured Solid for the binding, which ties everything together nicely.


The borders for the 12" block got some custom quilting with a square spiral border.


The triceratops is one of my favorite dinosaurs in the dino print, so I had to feature that cutie in one of my blocks.

Size: 36" x 36"
Fabric: Natural History, Mini Pearl Bracelets, and Butterflies by Lizzy House; Andover Chambray, Andover Textured Solids.
Pattern: "Special Exhibit" 
Quilting: Square Meander
Completed: March 2015

3 comments :

 
FREE BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS